Hit roguelite bullet hell extravaganza Vampire Survivors have a new update today, and while its 0.6.0 iteration will feature “less content than usual”, there’s still plenty of new material and tweaks to sink your pointy teeth into:
- 1 bonus stage
- 1 relic to access 2 minor game mechanics
- 2 new arcana
- 1 more rank for the Skip power-up
- Base duration halved for Shadow Pinion and Valkyrie Turner
- Shadow Pinion and Valkyrie Turner’s attack attack has a damage bonus depending on how long it was “charged”
- Arcana XIX – Heart of Fire also affects Valkyrie Turner and Phiera Der Tuphello’s striking attack
- Each bonus point in Armor now also increases retaliation damage by 10%. Retaliation damage is currently inflicted by NO FUTURE and Arcana XIX
- Music and music mods can now be viewed on the stage selection screen
- Rerolls can now be used to draft Arcana
- Unfortunately, due to one of the new game mechanics, the time has come to fix the Bone-stuck-in-the-boss glitch
- Interim fix for items sometimes not leveling up near the end of a race
If this represents the slower pace of content updates from developer Poncle, it’s still pretty impressive for a solo developer and especially for a game that only costs three dollars.
Rich Stanton from PC Gamer caught with the poncle in March, discussing the origins of the “accidental” indie hit, its unbeatable price, and Poncle’s philosophy for balancing such a strange game. I certainly wish more developers behind singleplayer games would take the lead and not worry too much about balance – I’ve had a lot of beloved OP strategies in RPGs snatched by ruthless, cruel developers.