the first ever Hearthstone Battlegrounds season, Rise of the Nagawill kick off on May 10th with a reset of player ranks, a new hero, and a new minion type: The naga, a magic-focused race that will grant spells or become more powerful when spells are played around them (and also, not coincidentally, they are the focus of the current Voyage to the Sunken City expansion).
First, a note about the seasons of Hearthstone Battlegrounds, because you might remember that Battlegrounds did indeed have previous seasons, such as this one. closed in january. In April, however, Blizzard announced that Battleground would begin organizing its “key moments” in seasons, which said it “will help give you a clearer idea of when big changes — like special events, keywords, or system changes — are coming to the mode, as well as when they’ll end.” In other words, same name, different purpose.
Back to the point at hand: some of your new naga minions will be able to take advantage of a new keyword, Spellcraft, which grants a spell each turn that can provide a temporary buff to your minions. Magic spells leave your hand at the end of each turn, but if your hand is full, they will “wait” until a free space opens up instead of being destroyed or delayed.
The new Battlegrounds hero is also naga: queen azsharaonce the beloved ruler of the Kaldorei Empire, who along with many of her Highborne followers fell into the depths of the Great Sea after the collapse of the Well of Eternity and was transformed by the Old Gods into the serpentine naga.
Blizzard also gave some tips on how to deal with these new minions:
- Each Spellcraft minion generates a Spellcraft spell each turn.
- Spellcraft’s effects only last until your next Recruit phase. This means that each turn you choose where to place your spells for the next Combat.
- Magic spells leave your hand at the end of your turn – if you don’t use them, you lose them!
- Spellcraft spells are generated as soon as you play the Spellcraft minion and at the beginning of each Recruitment phase.
- If your hand is full, Spellcraft spells will “wait” until there is a free space in your hand, instead of being destroyed or delaying a turn.
- Golden Spellcraft minions will spawn golden versions of Spellcraft spells, with double the effect.
- Some Naga worry when you cast spells. This includes Spellcraft spells, as well as things like coins, blood gems, and triple bounties.
A total of five minions will be removed from Hearthstone Battlegrounds in patch 23.2, which will kick off Rise of the Nagas. They will be replaced by 21 new minions – 16 naga and five other types – and a pair of “returning favorites”. A full reveal of all new minions and naga mechanics will take place on May 9; before that, you can get previews of what’s coming from these streamers: